Using vitamin supplements is a vital part of the health and growth of children. But with so many products on the market, it can be hard to know which ones are right for your child.
Nootropics improve cognitive function, memory, creativity, and motivation. Nootropics for kids vary by ingredients, delivery method, purpose, and stated outcome. As with all supplements, results can vary from person to person. A brand that may be perfect for one child may not be for another.
Here we review five popular nootropics for kids to help you make the better choice for your child.
The MAV Nutrition Minimind Gummies are a specially formulated nootropic for kids. It’s made with natural ingredients without any added chemicals or preservatives. This package is loaded with Omega 3, 6, and 9 essential fatty acids and Vitamin C. It promotes a healthy heart and brain, collagen, and immune system support. The fatty acids work as a natural focus supplement and promote healthy joints and strong bones.
- The non-GMO formula provides all-natural ingredients, so you know no laboratory-created chemicals are going into your child.
- The 66 mg of blueberry extract packs these gummies with superfood antioxidants.
- It has been shown to improve memory and problem-solving skills in some children.
- The gummy form makes it easy to give to children who may prefer gummies over pills.
- It’s only 1 gram of sugar per gummy.
- Some parents have reported that their children hate the taste, making a chewable gummy a less than ideal delivery method.
- It has a high price point for a product that your child may not like.
The MAV Nutrition Nootropics Brain Focus Gummies is an all-natural way to improve your child’s focus, memory, and mood. It has essential fatty acids, Vitamin C, DHA, CoQ10, and blueberry extract. This improves cognitive functions, joints, bones, vision, and heart at the cellular level.
These would be perfect for parents looking for an all-natural way to improve their child’s cognitive functions. But be prepared to spend a little more to do so.
Keep in mind that results can vary and that some children dislike the taste of these gummies. Trying out new nootropics is an experiment to discover what works best for your child.
Best Budget Nootropic
1 Body Brain Support Nootropics offer a supplement made from refined and isolated beneficial compounds. This is made from high-quality, natural sources combined to improve mental performance. These brain support capsules elevate mood, alertness, and energy. They stimulate the natural production of serotonin and dopamine to clear thinking and improve memory.
- It combines vitamins such as B-6 and B-12 with natural extracts to provide energy and alertness and improved cognitive function.
- The capsule is made from vegetables for a natural and vegan-friendly option.
- It works quickly. You can see results in as little as a few days.
- These capsules are not specifically designed for children. Please consult with your child’s doctor before giving them these supplements, as they most likely will need smaller doses.
- The capsule size may be too large to be comfortably taken by small children.
- It contains ingredients that tend to boost acetyl production, which may induce or increase depression. Monitor your child for signs of depression when giving them this supplement.
The 1 Body Brain Support Nootropics provide both a boost of energy and cognitive abilities. It’s vegan-friendly and all-natural, promoting a clearer and more focused mind.
This product is not specifically designed for children. It may be best for parents who want to share a nootropic with their child. If you’re thinking about sharing your nootropics, consult with your doctors beforehand. It might not be recommended for small children.
Vitamin Friends Focus Supplements harness Phosphatidylserine (PS). This is a nutrient that supports and improves cognitive and physical performance. PS, a building block of cells, is responsible for communication between brain cells. Plus, it helps preserve an optimal hormonal balance. These supplements come in gummy form made with organic cane sugar and natural fruit flavoring.
- It’s one of the only PS gummies on the market.
- They’re free of gelatin, making them vegan-friendly.
- They’re allergen-free (no gluten, nut, soy, egg, milk, fish, or dairy).
- The taste is comparable to regular gummy bears, ensuring most children will enjoy it.
- It is recommended to give your child six gummies a day for the first 21 days, meaning you’ll need more than one bottle.
- The price is nearly double most nootropic supplements on the market, and the extra for the first 21 days doubles the amount you’ll need.
Vitamin Friends Focus Supplements for Kids uniquely provides phosphatidylserine in gummy form. Instead of being made from soy, this supplement uses sunflowers. This makes it easier for children to take and is more effective. But it also has a higher price tag.
This product is best for parents who don’t mind spending a little extra. The benefits of non-soy PS are proven to produce better focus in small children. Also, it’s free of additional chemicals and extracts, which could be for better or worse. Be sure to do your research on PS to see if the results it produces are the ones you desire.
Best Under $10
The supplement nootropics by HempTotally are made of all-natural herbal ingredients. It contains DMAE, Croton extract, and phosphatidylserine. This can promote cognitive learning ability and effectively improve memory. They also contain Ginkgo biloba, Hericium Erinaceus and Rhodiola. These ingredients help steady the appetite, enhance the immune system and digestion.
- Not only does it provide energy, but it also helps to steady appetite.
- It’s non-GMO and vegan friendly. It contains no dairy, gluten, soybeans, eggs, fish, nuts, artificial colors, or spices.
- The number of capsules per container doubles most other nootropics on the market. One bottle will last for nearly two months.
- It’s not made for small children. While benefits have been seen in children, it’s best to consult your doctor before use.
- Since it’s not designed for children, the capsule may be too large for small children to swallow.
- An energy-boosting product may not be what most parents are looking for.
The HempTotally Supplement Nootropics are a safe, all-natural, and allergen-free compound. This has been shown to improve energy and focus in those who take them. They provide additional benefits that improve appetite, immune system, and digestion.
These are best for parents who want to share their nootropics with their children. Because they are not specifically made for children, talk to your doctor before giving them to kids.
Best Alternative Nootropics for Kids
LFI Labs Natural Brain Booster is a blend of low-strength brain enhancers. The St. John’s Wort & Bacopa Monnieri Leaf creates a calming effect. The combination of N-acetyl L-Carnitine HCI and L-Glutamine improves focus and concentration. Lastly, the Ginkgo biloba improves memory. All these ingredients have been chosen for their potential to enhance cognitive ability.
- The all-natural extracts chosen for these supplements are among the best combinations for improving cognitive function in people of all ages.
- The mood-stabilizing characteristics in the ingredients can help children concentrate better.
- It comes with a full, 30-day refund, even if you finish the bottle, so you don’t have to worry about losing money to try it.
- It is not specifically created for children, so you’ll need to consult with their doctor before trying.
- The capsule form may be too difficult for younger children to swallow.
- It contains PS made from soy, so it may be of lesser benefit and an allergen risk to those with soy allergies.
The Natural Brain Booster supplements by LFI Labs helps improve memory, concentration, and focus. Each ingredient complements and remarkably enhances the others.
Because they’re not specifically for children, they’re best for parents who want to share nootropics. They most likely won’t be suitable for small children but can enhance the focus in teens and adults.
Things to Know Before You Buy
Nootropics are drugs, supplements, and other substances that enhance cognitive abilities. These can include memory functions, focus, alertness, and concentration.
Nootropics can be broken down into different categories, including chemicals, herbs, and nutrients.
Chemical nootropics are any non-naturally occurring substance that may produce improved cognitive function. Some of them, I’m sure, you will be very familiar with.
- Amphetamine is a central nervous system stimulant used to effectively treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), narcolepsy, and obesity. They produce a sharpening effect in cognitive abilities that had been beneficial to students pulling all-nighters for decades. Known to be addictive when used recreationally, it is not a recommended nootropic for children.
- Methylphenidate is a central nervous system stimulant that is also used to treat attention disorders and narcolepsy. Much like amphetamine, it enhances cognitive functions. Also, like amphetamine, it can become addictive, causing adverse side effects. Therefore, it is not recommended for children.
- Eugeroics are a class of drugs that promote wakefulness and alertness. They are typically prescribed to combat many sleep cognitive disorders. Unlike amphetamine and methylphenidate, they do not cause euphoria and are not addictive. Eugeroics can be found in certain nootropics as agents to increase alertness.
- Caffeine is the chemical nootropic you’re the most familiar with. Found in many of our favorite drinks, such as coffee, tea, and chocolate, caffeine boosts alertness. One of the safer chemical nootropics, it really won’t be found in nootropics for children, especially the ones we’ve reviewed here. You probably already know what happens when they have too much chocolate.
- Nicotine is the other chemical nootropic you’ve at least heard of. The addictive substance in cigarettes produces alertness, orienting attention, and even memory. It is, however, a highly addictive chemical and therefore not included in nearly any commercial nootropics. Nor is it recommended for anyone.
Many herbs have been found that enhance cognitive abilities. Some are used familiarly today.
- Bacopa monnieri is a plant that has been used in traditional Indian medicine for decades. It has been known to increase brain chemicals that improve thinking, learning, and memory. Because it causes nausea, it’s best used in a limited fashion.
- Panax ginseng is a plant whose root is the source of ginseng. It’s known for its ability to increase memory and clearer thinking. It is also known to be fatal to babies and possibly harmful to older children as well. Therefore, it is not recommended in nootropics for children.
- Ginkgo biloba is an herb used for its ability to increase cognitive function. While the effects are disputed, it is a popular ingredient in nootropics as it is natural and relatively safe. As with all herbal supplements, consult your child’s doctor before giving.
Vitamins and minerals have been shown to improve cognitive ability.
- B-6 is a vitamin known to be essential for brain development and immune system health. You can find it naturally in many foods such as poultry, fish, and potatoes. Vitamin B6 has been associated with improved thinking, focus, and learning.
- B-12 improves the function and development of the brain, nerves, blood cells, and other parts of the body. You can find it naturally in foods such as meat, fish, and dairy products. Due to its ability to improve brain development, it’s used in nootropics for kids.
- L-theanine is a non-essential amino acid found primarily in certain plants and fungal species. It has been shown to improve cognitive abilities and promote relaxation. Generally recognized as safe, it’s used to enhance focus and concentration.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Nootropics Safe for Children?
Most children’s nootropic products on the market have specific safety standards. It’s best to know what ingredients are in the nootropic for kids. Consult with doctors before starting them on any nootropic regimen.
Are Pills or Gummies Better?
Your child will determine this one. If your child enjoys the taste of the gummies, they will likely prefer them over swallowing pills. However, if they dislike the gummies for any reason, the pill might be the way to go.
While nootropics may be new to you, studies prove their effectiveness in children’s brain development. With many kinds of nootropics on the market, you can find the ones that produce different results. It would help if you were sure to know which effects you’re looking for before choosing nootropics for kids.
The MAV Nutrition Minimind Gummies are best for parents who want a nootropic in gummy form. It has all-natural ingredients, and who don’t mind paying more for the best natural nootropics.
1 Body Brain Support Nootropics are great for parents who want to share nootropics with their children. Not specifically made for children, you should consult a physician before use.
Vitamin Friends Focus Supplements are great for parents who want a non-soy Phosphatidylserine (PS) in a gummy. This is one of the only gummy PS products on the market. So it will cost a little more, but the benefits may be worth it for your child.
HempTotally Supplement Nootropics and LFI Labs Natural Brain Booster supplements are for parents who want to share nootropics with their child. It’s not designed for children, so you’ll need to consult a physician before use.
With these five options, you’re sure to find a quality nootropic that will enhance your kid’s focus, alertness, and learning.