Herbal products have been called on since the beginning of time to help improve various health conditions. Ginkgo biloba powder is a major player in traditional Chinese medicine because of the numerous benefits associated with its use.
As one of the most popular dietary supplements available today, ginkgo leaf extracts have been known to aid in the treatment of blood circulation disorders. These ginkgo biloba products have also been used to improve cognitive function, treat generalized anxiety disorder, and even help patients with dementia.
The efficacy of ginkgo extracts is thanks to their terpene lactones, flavonol glycosides, flavonol aglycones, and antioxidant content. Here we’ll be looking at this product, its health claims, and some of the best nootropics you can use to leverage all the positive effects of ginkgo biloba.
The Best Ginkgo Biloba Powder Products in 2022
1. Nature’s Bounty Ginkgo Biloba Pills and Herbal Supplement
This supplement was one of the first to truly raise ginkgo awareness. Formulated with ginkgo biloba special extract, these supplements are specially designed to improve cognitive function and increase overall brain health.
While all its health claims have yet to be fully substantiated by any studies, people who use this drug have reported increased alertness and better concentration levels.
Not only does it limit cognitive decline, the supply of calcium and magnesium it floods the brain with also serves as a powerful mood booster. This makes these dietary supplements a good tool that may be used in the treatment of dementia.
Nature’s Bounty helps you get the very best that ginkgo biloba has to offer. From serving as a mild antidepressant to offering a measure of memory support. These pills can help you improve your daily life!
- Ginkgo Biloba Extract – 120 mg
- Ginkgo Flavone Glycosides (Standardized Extract) – 28.8 mg
- Terpene Lactones – 7.2 mg
- It’s specially designed to improve cognitive function on various levels.
- All product supplement facts are clearly listed. This way, you always know just what you’re taking in.
- It comes with precise dosage instructions.
- There haven’t been any experimental studies or clinical trials conducted to confirm the full efficacy of the product.
- It doesn’t come with a money-back guarantee.
- With no FAQ section available on their website, it’s hard to know more about the herbal supplement.
2. Nutricost Ginkgo Biloba
If you’re looking for a simple and natural way to improve your health in old age, then this special blend of ginkgo extract may be a great option for you.
The ginkgo powder contained in each capsule is not only derived from a natural source, but it’s also GMP compliant as well. It’s a completely healthy addition to your diet.
One of the many things that give this particular product an edge over its counterparts is that it is made in a Food and Drug Administration (FDA) registered facility. This lets you know you’re in good hands at all times.
In addition, its special antioxidant content helps it improve heart and brain health, reduce cancer risks and limit the damaging effects of time on the skin.
- Ginkgo Extract – 120 mg
- Flavone Glycosides – 24%
- Gluten – zero
- GMO – zero
- It promotes blood circulation.
- It improves cognitive function and overall brain health.
- It’s GMO and gluten-free.
- It has a high standardized extract and antioxidant content.
- It can affect blood clotting, as it influences anticoagulants and antiplatelet agents negatively.
- It may cause diarrhea.
3. NOW Double Strength Ginkgo Biloba
NOW supplements isn’t a new name when it comes to dietary supplements. They live up to their sterling reputation with this product made from ginkgo biloba seeds and leaves!
This ginkgo extract was specially designed to promote daily living for people of all ages. One of the reasons it’s a great addition to most diets is that it’s rich in antioxidant content and may positively improve cognitive function, especially in elderly people.
Another thing that makes this a great choice is that it can contribute to a healthy mood and even positively impact cardiovascular health.
Its high content of eleuthero roots boosts lymphatic and cognitive function as well as increases energy levels. In addition, it may prove helpful in the treatment of intermittent claudication.
While this bottle of ginkgo biloba has yet to undergo any placebo-controlled trials, there’s little doubt that it can truly help you improve your quality of life.
- Ginkgo Extract – 120 mg
- Organic Eleuthero – 250 mg
- Flavonol Glycosides – 24%
- Terpene Lactones – 6%
- It’s made by a reliable brand.
- It’s fully quality assured.
- It’s fully approved to be used in a vegan diet.
- The product may have a negative effect on people with certain health conditions like Multiple Sclerosis.
- The eleuthero content of the herbal supplement may cause problems with concentration for some users.
4. Havasu Nutrition Ginkgo Biloba
Ready to unlock the full potential of your brain?
Do you want to improve your brain health?
If yes, then this ginkgo biloba extract can help you do all of that and more!
Its proprietary blend of P. ginkgo and J. ginkgo helps you access all the beneficial effects of ginkgo biloba to the fullest. Coupled with its antioxidant content, these ginkgo biloba products afford you everything from improved mental clarity to superior focus and memory retention.
It’s a great herbal supplement for both elderly people and young students because it mitigates cognitive decline and boosts brain performance.
It also supplies your body with a potent dose of phosphatidylserine. Phosphatidylserine is a lipid molecule whose potent effect on brain function is well documented.
Not only does it improve cognition function, but it can also promote locomotive function and improve your problem-solving skills.
- Ginkgo Biloba Extracts – 120 mg
- Phosphatidylserine – 100 mg
- Flavone Glycosides – 24%
- It readily improves cognitive function and brain health.
- It improves energy levels and clears brain fog.
- It may help alleviate symptoms of anxiety and fatigue.
- The product hasn’t undergone any extensive clinical trials to scientifically affirm its efficacy.
- It comes with only 60 capsules. This means you’ll need to purchase more bottles of the product.
5. LIFE Extension Ginkgo Biloba Certified Extract
Not many dietary supplements leverage the power of the ginkgo tree.
This particular product was manufactured to promote optimal brain health and boost memory. Because it has a positive impact on blood circulation, it effectively ensures proper blood flow to the brain – which makes it easier for you to handle stressful situations.
This makes it a good herbal supplement for young people looking to enhance cognitive performance without endangering themselves.
With only minor side effects, this is one product you can count on to improve your quality of life.
- Ginkgo Leaf Extracts – 120 mg
- Flavone Glycosides – 24%
- Terpene Lactones – 6%
- Its capsule constituents are carefully chosen and each ingredient is approved for a vegan diet.
- It provides superb mood and stress support.
- It possesses potent antioxidant capabilities.
- It may be a bit more expensive than most other ginkgo biloba powder extracts.
- It doesn’t contain any extra special or helpful additives.
6. Micro Ingredients Raw Organic Biloba Powder
100% filler-free, you get two very important things with this product.
The very first thing is a pure dose of ginkgo biloba. This dietary supplement’s raw materials are obtained from organic plant material. This is a perk that only a few supplements in this list feature.
This product contains the highest supply of ginkgo biloba on our list.
It also comes in a loose, powder form. This allows you more freedom when it comes to dosage. However, this can be a minor disadvantage.
Because this dry extract should only be consumed in small doses, it might be difficult to get the right dose for you. But beyond this, this powder extract is as good as it gets!
- Ginkgo Biloba Extract – 350 mg
- Flavone Glycosides – 30 mg
- It’s more budget-friendly than many of its counterparts.
- It’s made from organic maidenhair tree products.
- It’s free of additives.
- It optimizes brain health and improves cognitive function.
- Dosing and dosage may be a bit difficult for some users.
What is Ginkgo Biloba Powder?
This is a nootropic made from maidenhair. This tree is native to China and has been predominantly grown for thousands of years.
Chinese medicine has found a wide variety of uses for this plant extract. We’ll be looking at some of the health claims of this substance.
Health Claims of Ginkgo Biloba
1. It’s a Potent Antioxidant
The Chinese have been known to use ginkgo biloba extracts to boost the immune system.
This is thanks to its antioxidant content. While more clinical trials must be done to confirm just how potent its antioxidants are, certain doses are quite effective in rats.
In addition to this, this substance has also been given to elderly people to delay various effects of aging.
2. It Improves Heart Health and Blood Circulation
Individuals who were administered certain doses of this substance also showed improved heart function. This is because the ginkgo extract triggered a dilation of blood vessels.
Ginkgo biloba has also been shown to offer protective benefits to the heart and blood circulatory system as well.
However, most of these studies have been done on animals. More clinical trials involving humans need to be done to confirm these effects.
3. It’s Used to Treat Patients with Dementia
Some studies also suggest that this plant extract may be used to treat people with dementia. Patients with Alzheimer’s have also been known to respond favorably to doses of ginkgo biloba.
It bears mentioning that these studies have been inconclusive and difficult to replicate.
4. It May Be Used to Treat Symptoms of Anxiety
A few clinical trials conducted on the effects of ginkgo biloba suggest that its GABA-modulating phytomedicines may be useful in alleviating anxiety and stress.
In addition, this extract may be used to treat a number of psychiatric disorders. Unfortunately, until more concrete data can be compiled on this product, it may be too soon to rely on these solely as antidepressants.
5. It May Be Used to Treat Migraines and Headaches
Ginkgo biloba was a popular solution for treating headaches in Chinese medicine and experimental studies confirm that it may be quite effective.
Because of its beneficial effects on blood flow to the brain, using ginkgo extract may help reduce the discomfort of migraines.
Common Supplement and Dosage Forms of Ginkgo Biloba
The benefits of ginkgo biloba powder can be easily accessed in any one of four forms. These include;
- Liquid extract
- Dried leaves and tea
It’s recommended that you do not take over 600 mg per day. Make sure you also do not consume ginkgo seeds raw as they are quite toxic.
Possible Adverse Effects
While the chances of experiencing toxicological effects of this substance are relatively minimal in adults, it does happen.
The most common side effects range from nausea, diarrhea, dizziness, and headaches; to stomach pain and allergic reactions. It may also trigger toxicological effects with medications like blood thinners and NSAIDs.
Is Ginkgo Biloba Powder Really Effective?
For the most part, yes it is.
Although modern science has yet to verify its full potency, what’s known about the herbal supplement right now looks promising.
Do I Need to See a Doctor Before I Start Taking These Supplements?
Yes, you do.
Only your doctor is in the best position to determine if you’ll be safe and reap the full benefits of this product when used.
What’s the Best Form to Take Ginkgo Extracts in?
We highly recommend you take it in capsule form.
While its potency and efficacy aren’t affected by form, taking it as a capsule allows you to monitor your dose most effectively.
Are the Potential Risks of This Supplement Worth the Reward?
We believe they are.
When used exactly as prescribed, there’s minimal risk of encountering any adverse effects. More importantly, taking this substance can significantly improve your quality of life.
Final Thoughts on Ginkgo Biloba
Although the mode of operation and level of potency of ginkgo biloba powder isn’t fully understood yet, it’s clear that this is one of the most beneficial herbal nootropics for the mind and body.
As long as you know the risks involved with taking the supplement and consult your doctor going forward, you’re sure to gain a lot from this natural herbal extract.
- Brondino N. et al. A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Ginkgo biloba in Neuropsychiatric Disorders: From Ancient Tradition to Modern-Day Medicine. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2013; 2013: 915691. doi: 10.1155/2013/915691
- National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. Ginkgo.
- Kirkland A.E et al. The Role of Magnesium in Neurological Disorders. Nutrients. 2018 Jun 6;10(6):730. doi: 10.3390/nu10060730
- WebMD. Health Benefits of Antioxidants.
- Huizen J. 12 Potential Health Benefits of Eleuthero. Medical News Today.
- Wikipedia. Phosphatidylserine.
- Glade M.J. and Smith K. Phosphatidylserine and the Human Brain.
- KEW. Maidenhair Tree.
- Bridi R. et al. The Antioxidant Activity of Standardized Extract of Ginkgo Biloba (Egb 761) in Rats. Phytother Res. 2001 Aug;15(5):449-51. doi: 10.1002/ptr.814.
- Zuo W. et al. Advances in the Studies of Ginkgo Biloba Leaves Extract on Aging-Related Diseases. Aging Dis. 2017 Dec; 8(6): 812–826. doi: 10.14336/AD.2017.0615.
- Wu Y et al. Ginkgo Biloba Extract Improves Coronary Artery Circulation in Patients With Coronary Artery Disease: Contribution of Plasma Nitric Oxide and Endothelin-1. Phytother Res. 2008 Jun;22(6):734-9. doi: 10.1002/ptr.2335.
- Yang Y et al. Systematic Investigation of Ginkgo Biloba Leaves for Treating Cardio-cerebrovascular Diseases in an Animal Model. ACS Chem Biol. 2017 May 19;12(5):1363-1372. doi: 10.1021/acschembio.6b00762.
- Savaskan E et al. Treatment Effects of Ginkgo Biloba Extract Egb 761® on the Spectrum of Behavioral and Psychological Symptoms of Dementia: Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. Int Psychogeriatr. 2018 Mar;30(3):285-293. doi: 10.1017/S1041610217001892.
- Savage K et al. GABA-modulating Phytomedicines for Anxiety: A Systematic Review of Preclinical and Clinical Evidence. Phytother Res. 2018 Jan;32(1):3-18. doi: 10.1002/ptr.5940.
- Montes P et al. Ginkgo biloba Extract 761: A Review of Basic Studies and Potential Clinical Use in Psychiatric Disorders. CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets. 2015;14(1):132-49. doi: 10.2174/1871527314666150202151440.
- Chang Y et al. The traditional Chinese Medicine Prescription Patterns for Migraine Patients in Taiwan: a Population-based Study. J Ethnopharmacol. 2014 Feb 12;151(3):1209-1217. doi: 10.1016/j.