L-carnitine is an amino acid derivative that is naturally produced in our bodies. The main role of L-carnitine is to transport fatty acids into your cells’ mitochondria and convert those acids into energy. L-carnitine is also important for brain and heart function, mobility of muscles, and a range of other body processes.
The best source of L-carnitine is from animal products, such as meat, poultry and dairy. The highest concentrations of L-carnitine can be found in red meat. For instance, 2 ounces of cheddar cheese contain 2 mg of L-carnitine, 1 cup of milk contains 8 mg of L-carnitine, and 4 ounces of beefsteak contain 56 to 162 mg of L-carnitine.
Benefits of L-Carnitine
L-carnitine can help you in many different aspects, including muscle retention, energy, and fat loss. Below, we’re going to discuss some of the benefits L-carnitine has.
Longevity and Energy
L-carnitine is a chemical made in the kidneys, liver and brain that can help with transporting fatty acids in your body to the mitochondria, which then turns them into energy. Mitochondrial function can be improved through supplementation with L-carnitine. When it comes to regulating aging and immunity, the mitochondria are key, and they can help support both longevity and immunity.
Even though the research is still ongoing, L-carnitine might help with some markers of heart health. Supplementation with L-carnitine can help with symptoms of heart failure, such as arrhythmia and chest pain, and it can boost circulation and heart health in the short period following a heart attack.
L-carnitine, and especially the form L-carnitine L-tartrate, can assist in reducing the muscle damage that happens during exercise. Not only will you gain a better capacity for fat-burning, but you will also have more energy for an active lifestyle and more efficient workouts. There are also studies that state that L-carnitine can help in building and retaining lean muscle among older people and that it has a favorable effect on fatigue.
Moreover, when the levels of L-carnitine are higher, your body is more efficient when it comes to burning fat. This helps decrease visceral belly fat, which is the type of fat that surrounds your vital organs and can lead to serious health conditions such as fatty liver diseases.
According to Healthline, the standard dose of L-carnitine is between 500 and 2,000 mg per day. L-carnitine is usually tolerated by most people. However, some might experience side effects while consuming L-carnitine.
These side effects include diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, and stomach cramps. In addition, some people might also experience a body odor that smells fishy, which can be pretty bothersome even though it’s not harmful.
Things to Consider When Buying L-Carnitine
In this section, we will talk about a few considerations you should keep in mind when you’re buying L-carnitine.
Before you start consuming any supplement, it is crucial that you exercise regularly and eat well. Supplementation won’t be able to cure anything if you do not have a healthy lifestyle.
When starting a product, it’s recommended to start with a lower dose and slowly build up to higher doses to see how your body reacts. L-carnitine can sometimes cause digestive side effects when it’s taken in higher doses, so you should start lower and work your way up.
Buying a product with a flexible dosage is smart. Flexible dosage means that the product is consumed by taking several capsules with smaller doses throughout the day instead of a product that has a single capsule with a high dose.
You have plenty of options to choose from when it comes to L-carnitine supplements, including tablets, liquid, capsules, and powder. The less commonly used option is tablets, while the most popular ones are liquid and powder. A liquid form is a great option for people who want to mix their L-carnitine with their shake or smoothie.
There are a few brands you can trust when you’re buying L-carnitine. If you’re making an online purchase, it is essential that you take into consideration who manufactures the product. We would recommend avoiding cheap prices that seem like they’re too good to be true, poor quality and unmarked packaging, and so on.
L-carnitine is an ingredient that needs proper care and handling, and manufacturers who don’t have experience or knowledge may use poor handling methods, cheap packaging, or the wrong type of storage, which can reduce the quality and potency of the supplement. Look for respectable brands that provide a specification of the ingredients used in their supplement and are transparent about their manufacturing processes.
Now you know everything you need to consider when you’re buying L-carnitine online, so you can make a well-informed decision.
Best L-Carnitine Drinks on the Market
Below are the best products on the market for reaping the various benefits of L-carnitine.
The L-carnitine in this product helps the body produce energy. It is important for muscle movement, brain and heart function and many other body processes. The other prominent ingredient in this product, pantothenic acid, is one of the B vitamins that are crucial for the creation of red blood cells and the proper functioning of the nervous system.
The product supports fat loss and aids in muscle recovery during training while being stimulant-free. It is an excellent workout supplement due to the fact that it reduces muscle damage and muscle soreness. You have a plethora of flavors you can choose from, including Cherry Popsicle, Sweet-N-Tart, Blue Razz, Berry, Green Apple, and Vanilla, and they’re all incredibly delicious.
- L-carnitine: 3000 mg
- Other ingredients: purified water, pantothenic acid, citric acid, phosphoric acid, malic acid, natural and artificial flavors, sucralose, sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate, acesulfame potassium
- It comes in many flavors.
- It’s an excellent workout supplement.
- It supports weight loss.
- The product contains artificial flavors.
iSatori is a company that strives to create nutritional products that help users maximize their reps, boost energy, and add bulk. The L-Carnitine LS3 by iSatori is a supplement created for people to burn fat and lose weight. Combining your nutrition plan and exercise with L-carnitine LS3 can help you see better results.
The product comes in the flavor Pink Lemonade. For those who are looking for fat-burning supplements that taste delicious at the same time, the L-Carnitine LS3 is a product worth considering.
- CarniTone Advanced L-Carnitine Complex: 1.5 g
- L-carnitine: 1.0 g
- Acetyl-l-carnitine HCI: 250 mg
- L-carnitine l-tartrate: 250 mg
- Other ingredients: purified water, malic acid, phosphoric acid, citric acid, natural flavor, sucralose, potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate, acesulfame potassium
- It has zero calories.
- It doesn’t contain any sugar.
- It’s a fast-acting formula that aids in losing weight.
- It has a strong aftertaste.
If you know anything about supplements, then you’ve surely heard of NOW Sports by now – a family-owned business that has been manufacturing supplements since 1968. The Triple Strength L-Carnitine by NOW Sports provides all the benefits of L-carnitine in a highly absorbable liquid form.
The Triple Strength L-Carnitine is delicious and has a natural orange flavor, so you can mix it in water or add it to a smoothie or shake. However, we would like to mention that, unlike the other products on our list, the NOW Sports Triple Strength L-carnitine has 20 calories per serving. The product has an Informed-Choice logo on it, which means that the Triple Strength L-Carnitine has been tested and certified to be free of banned substances.
- Vitamin B-12 (as Cyanocobalamin): 50 mcg
- Pantothenic Acid (from Calcium Pantothenate): 25 mg
- L-Carnitine (free-form base): 3 g
- Stevia Extract (Leaf): 15 mg
- Other ingredients: potassium, calcium, distilled water, vegetable glycerin, citric acid, malic acid, natural orange flavor, natural vanilla flavor, lemon oil, and potassium sorbate,
- The product is made by a major player in the supplement market.
- It has been lab-tested for purity.
- It’s suitable for vegans and vegetarians.
- It contains B vitamins that promote good health and well-being.
- It isn’t calorie-free like the other products on our list.
This is one of the best L-carnitine products for those looking for a booster to help them gain energy before and after workouts. This stimulant-free product can be taken any time of the day to help you recover faster and have longer workout sessions.
Formulated with L-carnitine tartrate, this product can be helpful for those suffering from DOMS (delayed-onset muscle soreness) or muscle soreness who want the fastest absorbing L-carnitine form there is on the market.
- L-Carnitine Matrix ( l-carnitine, acetyl l-carnitine, l-carnitine l-tartrate, taurine): 1500 mg
- Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxine HCI): 2 mg
- Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5): 10mg
- Other ingredients: filtered water, citric acid, natural and artificial flavors, malic acid, vegetable glycerin, sucralose, potassium sorbate.
- It contains B vitamins that help support cell health.
- It can be consumed any time of the day.
- It includes the brain-powering acetyl l-carnitine.
- It contains artificial flavors.
The supplement contains a good dose of thermogenic carnitine, which ensures increased fat burning, enhanced motivation and focus, improved endurance, and rapid fat loss. Whenever the levels of L-carnitine in your body go down, your body reaches for GBB, or Gamma-Butyrobetaine Ethyl Ester Chloride, to create more carnitine. GBB can be found in this supplement, and, combined with L-carnitine, it will dramatically improve your endurance.
In addition, the brain uses L-carnitine for optimal brain function, so this product will not only do wonders for you at the gym, but it will also boost your energy, mental cognition, and even mood levels.
- L-Carnitine Base: 2000 mg
- Gamma-butyrobetaine ethyl ester chloride: 25 mg
- Other ingredients: water, phosphoric acid, natural flavors, malic acid, stevia leaf extract, potassium sorbate, monk fruit extract, sodium benzoate
- It’s beneficial for regular resistance training.
- GBB helps further increase L-carnitine production.
- It’s naturally flavored – no artificial coloring or sucralose.
- It’s missing important ingredients for appetite suppression and fat burning.
The VMI Sports L-Carnitine 3000 contains acetyl L-carnitine, which is the most effective form of L-carnitine for your brain and can benefit people with neurodegenerative diseases. VMI Sports suggests that their L-carnitine increases libido and acts as an anti-estrogen and cortisol inhibitor.
This product promotes lean muscle growth, increases energy and performance, and supports overall fitness endurance. Moreover, this brand also suggests that this stimulant-free supplement aids muscle preservation during exercise and supports fat loss.
As we mentioned, this product uses three different types of L-carnitine in order to maximize the effectiveness of your metabolism.
- L-carnitine: 1.5 g
- Acetyl L-carnitine: 750 mg
- L-carnitine L-tartrate: 750 mg
- Other ingredients: sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate, sucralose, malic acid, natural and artificial flavors, phosphoric acid, purified water
- It contains three highly bioavailable forms of L-carnitine.
- It boosts brain function.
- It improves vitality and athletic performance.
- It contains fillers and artificial flavoring.
L-carnitine can be found in many forms and can help with brain function, muscle retention, and fat loss, among other things. Nevertheless, it is important that you speak with your doctor before you decide to add any supplements to your daily diet. When not used in a proper manner, L-carnitine can cause unwanted side effects such as nausea.
If you have a healthy lifestyle, exercise regularly, and have spoken to a doctor, L-carnitine can be a great thing to add to your daily diet. We hope that the information we provided in this article will be helpful when you’re looking for an L-carnitine drink that fits your needs.
- Iossa Susanna, Pina Mollica Maria, Lionetti Lilla, et al, Acetyl-L-carnitine supplementation differently influences nutrient partitioning, serum leptin concentration and skeletal muscle mitochondrial respiration in young and old rats, J Nutr, 2002 Apr, 132(4):636-42
- Rosca Mariana G, Lemieux Helene, Hoppel Charles L, Mitochondria in the elderly: Is acetylcarnitine a rejuvenator?, Adv Drug Deliv Rev, 2009 Nov 30, 61(14):1332-1342
- Wang Xhong-Yu, Liu Ying-ti, Liu Guo-Hui, et al, L-carnitine and heart disease, Life Sci, 2018 Feb 1, 194:88-97
- Kraemer William J, Volek Jeff S, French Duncan N, et al, The effects of L-carnitine L-tartrate supplementation on hormonal responses to resistance exercise and recovery, J Strength Cond Res, 2003 Aug, 17(3):455-62
- Spiering Barry A, Kraemer William J, Hatfield Disa L, Effects of L-carnitine L-tartrate supplementation on muscle oxygenation responses to resistance exercise, J Strength Cond Res, 2008 Jul, 22(4):1130-5
- Pistone Giovanni, Marino Angela, Leotta Carmelo, Levocarnitine administration in elderly subjects with rapid muscle fatigue: effect on body composition, lipid profile and fatigue ,Drugs Aging, 2003, 20(10):761-7