Green tea has dominated the market for several years because of the number of antioxidants and other healthy ingredients present. But what if we told you that there’s an even healthier option?
The essential amino acid in green tea is L-theanine, which which is what makes you feel better after drinking a glass. Matcha tea can actually contain five times the amount of L-theanine as green tea. This is due to shading techniques that Japanese farmers use to grow it.
L-theanine is an amino acid found in teas and some mushrooms. It is known to improve mental function, providing you with greater clarity of thought, and helping you to focus. Studies on L-theanine have shown that it can greatly improve cognitive function. You can learn more about this by checking out this article on L-theanine.
Since matcha tea is a rich source of this amino acid, we have put together a list of the best matcha L-theanine teas available on the market today.
Are you in a hurry? To help you find the best tea to fit your needs, we’ve created a quick list of the best teas to help make your choice easier.
Best Overall: DoMatcha Matcha L-Theanine Tea
“I’ve bought this product for 2-3 years now. I’m no tea connoisseur but I pour hot water over the matcha every morning, and it tastes amazing with a little honey and stevia. It boosts my energy levels and helps me through the toughest parts of my health journey.”
Best Budget: Jade Leaf Matcha Green Tea Powder
“I make a daily smoothie and put a tablespoon full of this powder in it. The first day I drank the smoothie, I recall thinking to myself later that afternoon, “Man, I just got a lot of stuff done. And boy, I was really able to engage and listen in that conversation.That was weird.””
Best in Taste: Vital Proteins Matcha Latte Powder
“I was unexpectedly surprised by this beverage! Mixes well, very nice smooth flavor and texture. I don’t want to speak poorly of the other hot beverage products offered by this company, but I would not purchase 2 of the other again, but this one I tried first, it would never have tried.”
Best Alternative: DoMatcha Ceremonial Matcha Tea Powder
“If you are a lover of matcha or have only just learned of its incredible health benefits, you will find nothing better than DoMatcha Ceremonial Grade tea. This also happens to be the best price I have found for it anywhere.”
Best Splurge: Vital Proteins Original Flavored Matcha Powder
“I love this product and it sits well in my stomach. I have tried several matcha and it has made me bloated and this product doesn’t! I prepare my matcha as follows: a bit of cinnamon, raw coconut butter, turmeric and stevia.”
Best in Convenience: DoMatcha Organic Tencha Matcha Powder
“If you’re not involved in preparation but would like a better quality tea, this is a great option. And the metal container does a great job of keeping the tea dust “in check.””
1. DoMatcha Matcha L-Theanine Tea
This product from DoMatcha comes in a tea powder that you can use to make different kinds of beverages. The powder includes a bold flavor full of vibrant aromas and a strong, earthy scent.
Many people combine matcha tea with caffeine for the best results, which means you can add this powder to your coffee drinks, smoothies, and even food dishes. Matcha tea is an alkalizing agent and a natural source of antioxidants, which can help slow the aging process.
For some health-conscious people, a large amount of caffeine in their diet may not be acceptable. This tea comes with a third of the amount of caffeine you would find in an average cup of coffee. The tea’s smooth taste and brilliant color are another benefit that many customers have enjoyed.
People have reported problems with the tea’s steep price, so it might not be affordable for everyone. In addition, you may find a few lumps in your drink.
- Brand: DoMatcha
- Capacity: 2.82 oz
- Package dimensions: 3.25 x 3.25 x 3 inches
- Item weight: 2.79 ounces
- Comes in a powder form that can be added to coffee and smoothies
- One third the amount of caffeine as you would get from a cup of coffee
- Bold and vibrant aroma for the best taste
- Can be more expensive than other options
- Might make lumpy drinks
2. Jade Leaf Matcha Green Tea Powder
This product from Jade Leaf is a ceremonial-grade matcha L-theanine tea, which means you can make it the traditional way by whisking the powder with water. This makes it much easier to use. The 100% pure tea has an authentic Japanese origin and is directly sourced from the country.
The high-quality ingredients and many antioxidants present in the product can help with mental clarity and give you energy throughout the day. The product’s excellent return policy means you will receive a full refund if you have any issues with it.
A complaint though that some verified customers have noted is the packaging. The tea powder is packaged in a bag rather than a jar, and some users have noticed that the zipper doesn’t always function properly. Additionally, you may feel jittery if you take this product in excess.
- Brand: Jade Leaf
- Capacity: 1.06 oz
- Package dimensions: 5.2 x 4.88 x 0.63 inches
- Item weight: 1.06 ounces
- Sourced from Japan, guaranteeing authenticity
- Can be made traditionally by whisking it with water
- Excellent return policy
- Lower quality packaging
- Some jittery feelings can be observed if consumed in excess
3. Vital Proteins Matcha Latte Powder
If you’re not a fan of the taste of tea and want something more delicious, this product from Vital Proteins comes in the form of a latte powder. The powder is vanilla scented, which means you can enjoy a delicious cup of latte without having to compromise on taste.
The product also contains collagen, which is helpful for your hair, skin, and nail health. Collagen ensures that your skin maintains its elasticity and hydration as you get older. The other ingredients in this matcha L-theanine powder promote a sense of calmness, alertness, and mental clarity.
The product also contains 50 mg of caffeine, 20 mg of L-theanine, and 3 g of sugar. Therefore, it can serve as the booster you need in the morning to wake up and start your day right.
However, the presence of sugar, caffeine, and collagen also means that there will be some calories associated with the product. So if you’re trying to watch your calorie intake, this might not be the best fit for you. Some aftertaste has also been reported.
- Brand: Vital Proteins
- Capacity: 9 oz
- Package dimensions: 6.38 x 3.74 x 3.62 inches
- Item weight: 9.28 ounces
- Comes in a latte powder form to add to your beverages
- Contains collagen to help improve nail, hair, and skin health
- Includes caffeine to give you energy
- Added sugar means more calories
- Some aftertaste associated with the product
4. DoMatcha Ceremonial Matcha Tea Powder
Another item on our list from the DoMatcha brand is their Ceremonial Matcha Tea Powder. This tea is easy to make and all you have to do is whisk the powder with hot water. The caffeine in the tea is released slowly in your body, which means you’ll receive a sustained release of energy as opposed to a sudden boost and subsequent crash.
The matcha tea is smooth in taste but needs to be refrigerated at all times. If it is exposed to light or air, it might lose its nutritional properties. The small 1 oz can is still able to provide you with up to 25 servings.
Customers should be aware that this product is fragile and should always be refrigerated to extend the shelf life. Also, using dairy with the product might reduce its antioxidant properties, which can affect your user experience.
- Brand: DoMatcha
- Capacity: 1 oz
- Package dimensions: 2.25 x 2.25 x 2.75 inches
- Item weight: 1.06 ounces
- Easy to make with just hot water
- Slow-releasing caffeine provides energy throughout the day
- High concentration of vitamins and minerals for an overall healthier lifestyle
- Adding dairy might ruin the antioxidant properties
- Fragile and should be refrigerated at all times
5. Vital Proteins Original Flavored Matcha Powder
If you liked the previous Vital Proteins product with collagen but did not want it in a vanilla-scented flavor, this could be the right choice for you. This product from Vital Proteins comes with very similar ingredients as the other one, containing 10 g of collagen peptides that are excellent for your hair, nails, and skin.
There is also no sugar, dairy, or gluten present in the product, which means that people trying to watch their weight or those with dietary restrictions can still consume it. The powder is easily soluble in hot and cold water, allowing you the freedom and convenience to quickly whip together your favorite beverage.
Verified customers have reported that this product has lower quality packaging that is not as user-friendly as other products. The taste of matcha tea can also be fairly earthy, which might not agree with everyone.
- Brand: Vital Proteins
- Capacity: 12 oz
- Package dimensions: 1 x 1 x 1 inches
- Item weight: 11.99 ounces
- Original flavor for a more earthy taste and authentic experience
- Collagen peptides for healthier skin, nails, and hair
- Easy to make as it is soluble in both cold and hot water
- Packaging is not very user-friendly
- Earthy taste might not suit everyone
6. DoMatcha Organic Tencha Matcha Powder
If you don’t want to be bothered with making tea by using a powder and cleaning up after, this product from DoMatcha comes in the form of sachets added convenience. All you need to do is dip one of these sachets in a cup of hot water, let it steep for one minute, stir it a few times, and you’re good to go!
You will still get the usual benefits of the tea, including antioxidants and L-theanine to support improved mental health and focus. The tea leaves also provide you with a powerful and smooth green tea that has multiple physical and mental health benefits.
The tea bags might not be less versatile than powder forms. The taste of the matcha has also been described as being slightly different than the one made with powder, which might not be compatible with everyone’s taste.
- Brand: DoMatcha
- Capacity: 20 sachets
- Package dimensions: 2.4 x 3.75 x 5.6 inches
- Item weight: 2.08 ounces
- Most convenient and least messy option
- High in antioxidants, nutrients, and minerals
- Can be steeped for as long as you need based on your requirements
- Not for people who prefer powder to sachets
- Taste might be different if you’re used to making tea from powder
The Bottom Line
In a world full of health-conscious people, discovering an organic alternative that gives you multiple times the antioxidants found in green tea while also tasting amazing can be quite the find. Matcha tea can certainly be more expensive than other types of tea, but the extra expense comes with more energy, a clear head, and an improved quality of life for yourself.
We hope that this article about matcha L-theanine teas has helped you make an informed decision about which matcha l-theanine tea is the best fit for you!
- WebMD, Theanine – Uses, Side Effects, and More. Retrieved from https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-1053/theanine
- Effects of L-Theanine Administration on Stress-Related Symptoms and Cognitive Functions in Healthy Adults. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6836118/
- Promind Build, What DOes It Mean to Be Brain-Fried? Retrieved from https://promindbuild.com/brain-fried-meaning/