If you had the chance to take a supplement that offered you superhuman memory and endless energy, would you take it? Most would, without thinking twice about it.
There is just something appealing about having superhuman abilities. While there might not be a drug available in the market that offers such heightened abilities, you do have nootropics. The smart drug enhances cognition function, improves your mood, and can even reduce stress and anxiety.
But which smart drugs actually work? We tested tons of them and found that the following four are effective nootropics for anxiety.
The Genius Brand is well-known in the nootropics business. They have a line of products that boost focus, concentration, and overall cognitive function. Genius Joy is a capsule that will boost your mood.
The capsules have plenty of content that backs up the claims of boosting your mood. It contains the following:
- S-Adenosyl-L-Methionine (SAMe): As the levels of SAMe decrease in the body, depression kicks in. Genius Joy provides the body with 1000 mg of SAMe to improve your mood and limit the effects of anxiety.
- N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine: This compound is known to put your mind at ease by reducing levels of cortisol. It also helps you focus.
- Rhodiola Rosea: The 300 mg of Rhodiola Rosea promotes a happier mood and feelings and is linked to reducing fatigue and depression.
- Griffonia Simplicifolia: The plant is known to be a good source for 5-HTP. Once the compound is in your body, it is converted into serotonin, the feel-good hormone which improves your mood.
The supplement has all the right ingredients, but does it work? It does. When it comes to boosting your mood and putting your mind at ease, it works well.
You will notice your body relaxing and minimal cognitive improvements 30 minutes after taking Genius Joy. It is a wonderful nootropic for anxiety, but don’t expect it to enhance your brain function too much, for that we recommend you take a comprehensive nootropic.
- B vitamins – 6 of 8 B vitamins are included
- SAMe – 1000 mg
- N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine – 350 mg
- Red Panax ginseng – 250 mg
- Griffonia Simplicifolia – 100 mg
- Boosts your mood, we like the inclusion of SAMe which helps curb depression and anxiety.
- Has some ingredients that also boost focus.
- Slightly expensive as a nootropic that only boosts mood.
BrainGear Brain Booster is a drink that has 13 natural ingredients that are said to promote brain health and improve focus, concentration, and clarity. Let’s analyze its main ingredients and how they back up the claims.
- Acetyl L-Carnitine: The amino acid is known to improve the function of brain cells and increase oxygen supply to the brain. So, it enables the brain to function better.
- Choline: The nutrient increases acetylcholine production. The chemical is a neurotransmitter that enhances memory formation. Choline improves your memory and prevents memory loss.
- Dimethylaminoethanol (DMAE): The compound also increases the production of acetylcholine, enhancing your memory.
- L-Theanine: The amino acid improves cognitive function and relaxes the brain, distressing it and fighting anxiety.
- Pyrroloquinoline quinone (PQQ): The antioxidant prevents oxidative stress of brain cells, so keeps them healthy and functioning, helping reduce stress.
BrainGear Brain Booster will improve cognitive functions and reduce anxiety. The supplement doesn’t work to reduce anxiety for good but will boost your mood for some time.
Overall, we liked the fact that the nootropics are in the form of a drink you can get in two flavors, blackberry hibiscus, and tangerine. Both taste great and will give you the boost you need to go about your day.
- Acetyl L-Carnitine – 500 mg
- Choline – 300 mg
- Dimethylaminoethanol (DMAE) – 75 mg
- L-Theanine – 200 mg
- Pyrroloquinoline quinone – 5 mg
- Natural nootropics, no inclusion of stimulants.
- Improves your mood and cognitive functions.
- Works rapidly, the body absorbs the nutrients fairly quickly and you feel it almost instantly.
- It is recommended you drink it on an empty stomach as it may suppress your appetite.
The formula used for the drink contains natural and plant-based ingredients. It features the following B vitamins, B1, B2, B6, and B12 which are known to provide an emotional balance. B vitamins work to combat fatigue and depression.
Besides B vitamins, the drink also contains Alpha GPC. The compounds work with other nootropics to serve as a neuroprotective, preventing memory loss. It also wards off headaches and reduces the level of anxiety as it boosts acetylcholine production.
Besides the impact the drink has on anxiety and stress, it also boosts focus. The inclusion of caffeine and L-Theanine ensures your brain gets the boost it needs to stay alert and focus on the task at hand. It is a great drink for those that need to take a long drive or have a lot of work to get done.
Like with BrainGear Brain Booster, don’t expect the effects of the drink to be long-term. It does wear off. While the label says that the drink is effective for up to 10 hours, it usually wears off in 6-7 from our experience. But, we aren’t complaining since that is plenty of time for most especially if you drink it to focus on some urgent work.
Overall, you can expect your enhanced mood and laser focus after drinking Stride Next Level Energy. It will give you an instant boost that will last you for hours.
- B Vitamins – contains 4 of 8 B vitamins
- Blend of Alpha GPC, L-Theanine, Huperzine A, and Caffeine – 1,375 mg
- Instant boost in your mood; relieves stress.
- Provides nutrients that increase focus and concentration.
- Effects of the drink last for 6-7 hours.
- No long-term impact on cognitive function or anxiety.
Huntington Labs – Nootropics Supplement Support doesn’t outright claim to reduce anxiety but it impacts the brain in such a way that it relaxes your mind and reduces stress. It is essentially a super drug that improves memory, promotes clear thinking, and aids cognitive health.
The supplement includes vitamins B1, B2, B3, and B6 which boosts energy and emotions, fighting depression. To improve focus and memory retention the substance utilizes vitamin E, vitamin A, Niacin, and gaba. While the blend of liquorice root, chromium picolinate, potassium, and magnesium oxide works to eliminate brain fog.
All the ingredients in the supplement are natural. It essentially relies on vitamins and other minerals to boost your cognitive functions. But the question is, does it work well as a mood enhancer? It does, but not as well as the other options on our list.
Huntington Labs – Nootropics Supplement Support doesn’t have any specific ingredients besides the mix of B vitamins that will combat anxiety. It does, however, work well as a cognitive health aid.
- B Vitamins – 4 of 8 B vitamins
- Proprietary blend includes DMAE Bitartrate, L-Glutamine HCL, Glutamic Acid, and Green Tea Extract – 642 mg
- Natural ingredients that boost cognitive functions.
- Works like a multivitamin to provide your daily dosage of vitamins and minerals.
- Includes calcium and iron.
- Not super effective for reducing anxiety.
Your Guide to Nootropics for Anxiety
Certain herbal and chemical nootropics effectively work to relieve anxiety and stress. So, ideally, you want to find smart drugs that utilize them.
Look for the following nootropics as base ingredients in the substance you decide to buy.
- Valerian Root: The root is commonly used in tea and has the power to enhance sleep and reduce anxiety. It works to calm the body down, easing the nerves so you can relax and sleep well.
- Kava Kava: Another root that works similarly to the Valerian Root. It lowers anxiety, de-stresses you, and can be made into a tea.
- L-Theanine: The amino acid improves memory and has a calming effect on the mind.
- 5-HTP: You will find this as an ingredient in many anti-depressant drugs. It helps provide relief from migraines and balances the chemicals in the brain to destress and reduce anxiety. But, you need to make sure you follow your physician’s prescription because if you don’t take the right amount, you can cause a chemical imbalance in your brain.
- SAMe: The ingredient is known to be used to clear your mind and improve concentration. Some consider it a “miracle drug” and it is used along with 5-HTP in many smart drugs to reduce anxiety and depression.
- Alpha GPC: The compound works to reduce the impact of memory loss and has been known to reduce anxiety.
You will find numerous over-the-counter supplements that contain these nootropics in one form or another. Just make sure you consult your physician before you take any type of smart drug otherwise you risk messing with the balance of your brain chemicals. They will recommend the right dosage of each nootropic based on your needs.
Another thing you want to look out for is whether or not the ingredients are natural. The benefit of using natural ingredients is that it reduces the chances of any negative effects from taking the super supplement. It doesn’t eliminate side effects, especially if you may be allergic to one of the ingredients but the supplement itself doesn’t have major side effects.
You should now have a better understanding of which nootropics work effectively at reducing anxiety. In making your smart drug selection a little easier, we categorize our picks.
The drug with the most all-natural ingredients: We liked Huntington Labs – Nootropics Supplement Support for its all-natural ingredients. It relies solely on vitamins and minerals to enhance cognitive functions and mood. It may not be as impactful as the others in mood enhancement and fighting anxiety but you will feel relaxed and calm after taking the smart drug.
The best one for mood enhancement: We preferred the ingredients used in Genius Joy over the others when it came to mood enhancement. It contains SAMe, L-Tyrosine, and Rhodiola Rosea, all ingredients that positively impact anxiety. It may take a little longer than the two drinks to take effect but we felt that the impact of the supplement lasted longer.
The best for instant mood enhancement: Both BrainGear Brain Booster and Stride Next Level Energy work instantly. The two have different ingredients and the Brain Booster worked better at mood enhancement. The mix of Choline and DMAE works well at relaxing your mind and calming you down almost immediately.
As far as how long the effects remained, both drinks wear off around 6-7 hours after consumption. But, it varies from person to person.
As nootropics become more popular, you will find many claiming to improve brain function, enhance intelligence, fight memory loss, and anxiety. Like with any drug, you need to be cautious about what you consume because of side effects.
Our list consists of smart drugs that contain natural ingredients which minimize side effects. But we would like to reiterate that you should consult your physician before taking any type of nootropics for anxiety. Yes, they are available over-the-counter and without prescriptions but some contents in these drugs can result in brain chemical imbalance.
To avoid any issues resulting from consuming the drug, it is better to consult your doctor beforehand. Be sure to also check out our other smart drug reviews like the one for the best for brain functioning.